Miller-Claytor House Gardens
In 2012, the Garden Club of Virginia presented the Common to The Lynchburg Garden Club for its project at The Miller-Claytor House Garden, a historic home and garden located in Riverside Park. The award was used to restore the gardens Charles Gillette designed in 1936 and to install safety railings near the patio.
The Lynchburg Garden Club’s connection to the Miller-Claytor House dates back to 1936 when the club decided to take on the development of a garden and asked the renowned Richmond landscape architect Charles F. Gillette to design the plan. The garden was planted in 1940 and lovingly cared for by the Garden Club members. Some 10 years later the garden was restored to its original 18th century design. In 1947 in recognition of their on-going care of the Miller-Claytor Garden, The Lynchburg Garden Club received the Massie Medal for Distinguished Achievement, the oldest and most prestigious award given by The Garden Club of Virginia.
Today, almost 70 years since it was conceived, the Miller-Claytor Garden remains an on-going project of the Lynchburg Garden Club. It serves as a tribute to those members who originally planned and planted the garden and to those who have nurtured it through the years.