On March 10, 1922, Mrs. Samuel H. Marshall, President of the Albemarle Garden Club of Charlottesville, gave a talk to the Lynchburg Women’s Club on “Forming A Garden Club.” The idea was so enthusiastically received that on March 29, The Garden Club of Lynchburg was organized by 17 women.
In 1923 a visiting committee from the Garden Club of Virginia came to “look us over” and invited The Lynchburg Garden Club to join as their 10th member club. In 1952, The Lynchburg Garden Club sponsored Hillside Garden Club for membership in the Garden Club of Virginia.
From its beginnings, The Lynchburg Garden Club has actively pursued the preservation of our historic landscapes and conservation of our natural resources. Currently we maintain gardens at Riverside Park, The Miller-Claytor House, and a native pollinator garden on the 501-Expressway at Graves Mill Road.
Note: Minutes and archival records of The Lynchburg Garden Club are housed at the Jones Memorial Library.